Monday, September 27, 2010

Canning with our home grown veggies

Last night we went over to Jason & Becky's house to do some canning. Jason & Becky continue to amaze me with their interest and creativity in their cooking. Jason's latest obsession has become canning. He's canned homemade salsa, pickles, dilly beans, and now Habanero Jam. Every time they have us over for dinner, we have something new and delicious. Oh, and by the way, I should mention that the Gorden's are all veg heads now - yee haw! I think Jiffer's a little disappointed that now it's just he and the girls who eat meat, but also happy for me now that I'm no longer outnumbered. It's 5 to 3 (not that anyone's counting) out here! I cannot count my family in Missouri as it dramatically tips the scales the other way. Anyways, as I mentioned in a previous post (http://theshadiaries.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-chef.html), we discovered that we have a black fig tree in our backyard. And boy do we have a lot of them. So Jason and Becky suggested that we make some fig preserves.

When we got to their house, Jason was finishing up his Habanero Gold Jam. Tried it this morning and it is incredible. Spicy and sweet, but not so spicy you can layer in on some yummy bread or crackers. Here's the finished product before we dug into ours this morning.


We'll see how the fig preserves will turn out. We couldn't finish the process last night and so Jason and Becky are finishing them up right now. I hope they turn out because we're going to have 12 jars of it!

1 comment:

  1. You should give me the recipe from Jason. Patrick has habaneros coming out his ears and beyond a few that we infused in some tequila, we have no idea what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete