Thursday, September 30, 2010

My new hobby

I've recently started sewing again (not that I've sewn much in the past) and am loving it. My Grandmother, Opal, taught me how to sew when I was young - around 8 or 9 years old and I really haven't sewn anything until a year or two ago when I decided to make Penelope a pillowcase dress. When we found out we were coming here, Becky and I talked about all of the fabulous things we were going to make together - and she was going to help me learn / relearn how to sew. Well, we're doing it. We've found all kinds of beautiful fabrics. We are making little girl clothing right now, but maybe we will branch off someday and make women's clothing. They're not perfect by any means, but our customer right now (me) isn't too picky. Here's a few things we've done recently.
The ruffle pant was our first project. My niece, Sarah, helped make these as well. We made a matching pair for Penelope and Amelia. The pattern ran big and so I think they'll wear these in the spring, summer and fall. I also made matching appliques for their tops.

I tackled this simple little peasant top all by myself. Easy peasy. Except for the reading of the pattern directions and cutting it out. I need an assistant to do that work : )


This is a work in progress. It is going to become a dress. The plan is to make / buy and attach a knit bodice / tank to the skirt for a super cute and fun twirling dress. Penelope LOVES her twirling dresses. This was inspired by a little Matilda Jane dress Penelope has. Becky and I reverse engineered the Matilda Jane dress quite impressively, in my humble opinion. My favorite...

2 comments:

  1. I'm beyond impressed. I loooove that top! the fabric is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jamie, I am with Molly- beyond impressed. I love the ruffle pants and can't imagine making that top. I was only good at Halloween costumes because the stitching could be all messed up an no one cared. I made an awesome bugs bunny one year but the mask took forever.

    ReplyDelete